Sunday, October 17, 2010

Why can't we all just get along?

Rodney King asked that question in a press briefing after his videotaped beating at the hands of LAPD and the CHP. (I'd love to post the video, but the owner charges, and I'm cheap)
King had it right...sort of. A united front, working together against a perceived threat, can accomplish much more than divisive actions. Now, before you start thinking I'm taking King's side, let me be perfectly clear. Rodney King had it coming, and he's lucky to be alive. There's A LOT more to that video, and the whole situation, than most people know. And that goes to our own situation in the fire service as well. Let's take the South Fulton, TN scenario for example. I'm sure you're aware of what happened. (If not, you should be. Just Google it, there's a wealth of info, and I don't feel like putting up links. I'm having a lazy day.)

The news reports focused on the fact that firefighters let a home burn to the ground, refusing to take action, because the homeowner hadn't paid a $75.00 annual fee. A black eye for the fire service.
The news of this incident went national, with sound bites and video showing the fire department's refusal to act. Another black eye for the fire service.
The fire service quickly responded, internally, on blogs, forums and chat rooms. Every person with a keyboard seemed to weigh in, either pro or con, taking sides on the very polarizing issue. We proceeded to beat each other up, call each other names, defame the firefighters involved, ridicule the South Fulton Fire Department, and generally act like asses. And I do mean WE. Everyone, save for a tiny few, added to the monumental volume of chatter. A couple of people kept their level headedness (Mick Mayers, for instance) in the fray, but even old friends went at each other over this issue. Dave Statter and Rhett Fleitz had a little feud going on for several days, and  in the end I think they just agreed to disagree.
So, what's my point? The public sees all of this... no, not all of it, just the sensationalized snippits the media reports. I am a firm believer in perception.You wouldn't show up to your first day on a new job wearing crappy clothes (unless told to do so), so why would you let the public see your worst side? If we, as a professional service, can't organize and present a unified front, how do we expect to overcome issues like the lack of funding and support in our towns and cities?

It seems to me, in my own humble little opinion, that what the fire service needs right now is for all of us to get along. To look at the bigger picture, to put our best uniform on and go forward to the public as professionals. Screw the arguments about who's professional, to hell with paid vs. volunteer crap, safety vs. aggressive arguments can pound sand. If we, as brothers and sisters in service to our community, can't come together and agree to show the public that we are worthy of their support, then maybe we don't deserve to ride the shiny red trucks any more.

For me, the fire service has never been about being cool. Or about being a social organization. I got into this business twenty-three years ago because I wanted to serve my community. The cool part was an added bonus. The social aspect of my job is also an added bonus. But, twenty-three years later, I still get fired up to go on calls, to aid my fellow human beings, and to make a difference in someones day. That's how I measure my success: Did I do something that made another person's day better, at that moment when they truly needed the help. What about you? Why do you wear that uniform, that pager, carry that radio? If you don't do it for the good of the public, maybe you're doing it for the wrong reasons. And maybe that's what's wrong in the profession. The emphasis on community service, on the greater good, isn't what it was when I was 17. But that's a rant for another post.

So until then, stay safe, take care of each other, and take care of the job.
In that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment